Canvas will accept a csv if formatted correctly. Luckily the format isn’t too extensive.
1) We need every column depicted in the screenshot except for Scantron test 3.
2) Student, ID, SIS User ID, SIS Login ID, Section are all required.
3) Extra columns can be new assignments and Canvas will pick up on that.
4) There doesn’t need to be anything in the Section column.
5) There needs to be at least one entry for either Student, ID, SIS User ID, or SIS Login ID. In the example above we’ve used SIS User ID.
6) Student requires the name of the student and ID requires the ID number of the student in Canvas. Please keep in mind this is a number and not a username.
7) SIS User ID and SIS Login ID can both use the student’s eID.
An easy way to obtain an excel sheet with the correct format is to download the gradebook from Canvas. Here’s the Canvas guide on downloading the gradebook http://guides.instructure.com/s/2204/m/4152/l/55012-how-do-i-download-scores-from-the-gradebook.
And here’s the Canvas guide on uploading grades to Canvas http://guides.instructure.com/s/2204/m/4152/l/55013-how-do-i-upload-changes-to-the-gradebook.
As a final note the column SIS User ID needs to be in lower case. Canvas will not accept uppercase IDs. To convert the row of uppercase eIDs to lower case you need to use the =LOWER() command in excel. Here’s a guide on how to use that command to convert uppercase to lowercase http://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/684-excel-change-uppercase-to-lowercase.html.