Canvas will accept a csv if formatted correctly. Luckily the format isn’t too extensive.
1) We need every column depicted in the screenshot except for Scantron test 3.
2) Student, ID, SIS User ID, SIS Login ID, Section column headers are all required.
3) Extra columns past column E in the screenshot can be new assignments and Canvas will pick up on that.
4) Section column should remain blank.
5) Student, ID, SIS User ID, or SIS Login ID needs to have entries. ONLY ONE of these columns needs to have entries, all the others can be left blank. In the screenshot we’ve used SIS User ID and left Student, ID, and SIS Login ID blank.
6) We recommend just using the SIS User ID as the other columns won’t accept eIDs.
7) SIS User ID and SIS Login ID can both use the student’s eID.
An easy way to obtain an excel sheet with the correct format is to download the gradebook from Canvas. Here’s the Canvas guide on downloading the gradebook http://guides.instructure.com/s/2204/m/4152/l/55012-how-do-i-download-scores-from-the-gradebook.
And here’s the Canvas guide on uploading grades to Canvas http://guides.instructure.com/s/2204/m/4152/l/55013-how-do-i-upload-changes-to-the-gradebook.
As a final note the column SIS User ID needs to be in lower case. Canvas will not accept uppercase IDs. To convert the row of uppercase eIDs to lower case you need to use the =LOWER() command in excel. Here’s a guide on how to use that command to convert uppercase to lowercase http://www.extendoffice.com/documents/excel/684-excel-change-uppercase-to-lowercase.html.