Computer Science – let me count the ways

In my discipline we really rely on many electronic resources as a matter of course. For example: are tutorials for the programming language that we use in CS 139/239. While it may be a bit daunting to introductory students, but the end of the first semester, these are wonderful.

Two resources that I consistently use for an upper level database class are MySQL reference manual and php tutorials. The w3schools site has a lot of web development resources such as html, sql, php, css, etc. These often come with try it functions to let students try the new code and see the end result.

There are also free practice sites for java (which we teach in intro programming) and in python. is geared for our first semester students.

These are all electronic resources that I have used to supplement the textbook.

Looking at some new things:

I don’t like the way our authors in database describe a process called normalization. But the library has electronic books. I found a nice supplement that approaches that subject in a more traditional way than our book does.

I have downloaded the chapter, converting it to Kindle format (just for yuchs), but it is something that I can make available to my students when we take up that topic.

There are probably other books out there that I could make use of in a chapter by chapter way.

Videos don’t seem to yield much. I did find one that might be a nice case to look at for the Software Engineering course in the fall.

YouTube has a number of Java tutorials that I know the students use. I have found them to be of so so quality so don’t promote them.

Stanford – Intro to Computer Science This is one of those open source courses. While I would probably not direct students here (they use some tools that are different from what we use), there may be some interesting assignments to explore.

You can skip to the end and leave a response. Pinging is currently not allowed.