Maya Smith- Introduction

2012 May 15
by smith5ma

Hey Everyone!

My name is Maya and I am ALMOST a graduate from JMU. This will be my last class before I can receive my diploma! I am a SCOM major and a Film studies and Spanish double minor. My 4 years at JMU were some of my best, so I will really miss it come fall when it hits me that I am not going back…

I am from Boston, MA and have moved back for the summer and hopefully indefinitely if I find a PR job in the area. That is the field I am most interested in and I would love to work for a PR agency. Other than the job search, my summer will most likely consist of seeing old friends, spending time at the beach and finding a way to make money on the side. Doesn’t sound like a bad life!  Many people ask what brought be to JMU all the way from Boston, and to tell you the truth, I can’t even remember at this point! It was a perfect match from the moment I saw the campus. That longggg drive yesterday from JMU, however, had me asking myself “Why, why, why did you have to pick such a far school, Maya??”

I am very excited about Food Comm because I come from a Colombian background where food is the backbone to every interaction. My family uses food to express appreciation and love, but also to express guilt and apology. It seems like every month we are making up some reason to throw a party and invite all our friends over just so that my mother and grandmother can whip up a feast. What is funny about growing up with both Irish and Colombian in me is that my first native tongue was Spanglish (a mix of english and spanish), however, the only Spanish words I said were  food words. Ex. Arroz-Rice, Frijoles-Beans, Huevos-Eggs…

I look forward to learning more about food and the way we use it to communicate with all of you!

Maya

^ This is a typical Colombian breakfast, called an Arepa.

One Response leave one →
  1. Paul Mabrey permalink*
    May 17, 2012

Welcome to the class Maya, thanks for sharing a little bit about your family food practices. A very interesting breakfast tradition, I hope that we get to hear some more about it. Sounds like you will be having fun this summer in Boston! Good luck in the job search, keep us posted.