For Parents

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I sign up to participate? 
If you are interested in one of our studies, you can email us at jakobskv@jmu.edu or call at 540-568-4301.

Can I bring my other children? 
Yes! Our lab has a fun play area in which your other children can play during the study. Simply let us know how many children you will be bringing and their age.

How do I get to Miller Hall?
 Our Address is: 91 E. Grace St.,Harrisonburg, VA 22807
.  We are located on the corner of Grace St. and Mason St.

Is there parking available? 
Yes! Once we schedule your appointment, we will be able to reserve a parking spot for you next to Miller Hall. Parking is available in the M lot on Grace St.

Can I stay with my child during the testing?
 Yes! Your child will sit on your lap during the session.

What do I need to bring? 
All we need is you and your eager child! Please try to schedule a time that does not fall near your child’s naptime.

How long will the session last?
 Sessions usually last no more than 30 minutes from start to finish, with your child’s part lasting about 3-5 minutes.

How many times do I need to come back?
 For our current studies, you only need to come once. If you’d like, we will keep you in mind for future studies, or when your child reaches the appropriate age.

Will I be compensated for my time? 
Our current studies offer monetary compensation. Participants of every study will receive a certificate of appreciation.

How many children will participate in the study?
 It depends on the study. We often need between 60 and 80 children in each study, therefore, it can take a year or more to collect all of our data.

What will my child be required to do? 
Your child will watch pictures on a computer screen as we track their eye movements. Please refer to our Research tab to view more details on each of the studies.

Can you tell me if my child is smart?
 We are focused on learning about how children of similar ages perform in our tasks, and therefore, do not look at individual children’s performances.

What if I have more than one child who qualifies for a study? 
If you have multiple children who are of the right age for our studies, we can schedule one appointment to test both children at the same time.