Choosing a major for college can be extremely difficult. It’s almost crazy that we’re coming from high school where there are so many rules and restrictions and required classes straight into college where suddenly it’s all about what you want to do. But that’s just the thing; it’s about what YOU want to do. Choosing a major geared toward your personal interests will ultimately make you happier and more successful in life.

When I was preparing to go to college, my dad thought it was best that I choose a major going in rather than go undeclared. He wanted me to have a course for my first year of college rather than me just go blindly into freshman year without a plan. I asked him what he thought about going into college with an undeclared major and he responded with “If you don’t have a major, then you’re probably going to take classes that don’t pertain to what you want to do. You’ll end up wasting time and money on classes that you don’t really need.”

I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to major in because one could major in anything and go to medical school. Becoming a doctor is what I want to do with my life, and it doesn’t really matter what I major in as long as I get all the pre-requisites done. Even knowing this, my dad still encouraged me to do something that would allot me a job after college. Hoping to please him, I picked chemistry. I was pretty decent at it in high school and I figured that it wouldn’t be too hard of a major since it included some of the pre-requisites for medical school anyway.

I learned very quickly that chemistry wasn’t something that I actually enjoyed. Sure, I’m good at it, but I don’t want to be doing coursework and having classes in it for the next four years. I tried to tell my dad that I wanted to switch majors in fall semester of my freshman year, but he wasn’t too pleased. He insisted that I stick it out a little bit longer. At that time, though, I really wanted to be a biology major and he said that I would never get a job as a biology major if I decided not to go to medical school. Finally accepting defeat, I agree to keep my chemistry major declaration and made my way into spring semester of freshman year.

As my dislike for chemistry increasingly grew, I realized that I didn’t need to do something just because it would please my dad. What you major in should be something you enjoy doing. I dreaded going to chemistry class, and when I got there I instantly wanted to leave. A typical day in my chemistry class would be me sitting in the back and looking at the clock every two minutes to ensure that the class was moving along in a timely manner so I could get out and go to another class that I actually enjoyed. So sure, it would be nice if the things I wanted to do could make him happy but that wasn’t always going to be the case. I needed to do what I wanted to do because in the end I’m going to be the one doing it, not my dad. I would be the one with the job that I would have to go to every day and if it wasn’t something I enjoyed then there was no point in even doing it because I wasn’t going to be happy in life.

Facebooktwittergoogle_pluspinterestlinkedinmail