The month of February seems to fly by! A snow storm finally hit the city and it is all white around Harrison Hall. Yet, this snow storm could not stop people around SCOM from being actively involved with the world outside of the school.
Dr. Tim Ball was selected as one of only 24 faculty members from across the US named to the Student-Learning Outcomes in Communication Project sponsored by National Communication Association.
According to the NCA website, “NCA recently received a grant from the Lumina Foundation to conduct a faculty-driven student learning outcomes project for the Communication major…The goals of the project are to productively support curriculum planning and improvement within the Communication discipline, and to help position Communication centrally in institutions’ general education curriculum development efforts.”
Dr. Ball has been a faculty member at JMU since 1998. He has served as the GCOM Basic Course Director in the General Education Program since 2003. Congratulations, Dr. Ball!!
This past week the JMU Speech Team hosted fifteen teams from across the nation, representing eight different states.
Among the teams competing were: Arizona State University,Tyler Junior College from Texas, the University of Akron from Ohio, Bradley University of Illinois,the University of Alabama, Seton Hall University from New Jersey, Saint Joseph’s University of Pennsylvania, Indiana University Purdue University of Indiana, as well as Virginia’s George Mason and Liberty University.
The individual results for the JMU team are listed below:
As host, the JMU team was not eligible for overall team awards but earned enough points to have won top distinction had they been.
- Date: Tuesday, February 18, 2014
- Time: Choose one of the times that best fits your schedule
- Session 1: 12:30-1:45; Session 2: 2:00-3:15 (sessions are the same)
- Where: Harrison Hall 1290
JMU PRSSA (Public Relations Student Society of America)
PRSSA JMU Chapter will be going on a New York City Agency Visit on Feb. 20-22.
The chapter has also elected their new executive members for the 2014-2015 school year:
- President: Brittany Tibaldi (also delegate to National Assembly in March)
- Vice President: Patricia Sutherland
- Professional Development Coordinator: Hannah Summers
- Public Relations Director: Ashley Key
- Secretary: Jess Voigt
- Treasurer: Kait DeWeever
- The SCOM still receives a nomination for the 2014 SCOM Alumni Award. Please check here for more information.
- Also, if you haven’t had a chance to read a story about Dr. Carlos Alemán and his involvement with the Shenandoah Valley Scholars Latino Initiative, please read our story here.