27 Oct 2011
After Fukushima, What about Nuclear Power?
Convener: Anca Constantin
Reporter: Jeremy Cappert
Group members: Jimmy Devilbiss, Andrew Knoll, Ivan Liapin, Kyle ____, Amy Green, Casey Rodgers
Consensus or majority declarations and questions:
(1) Responsibility and awareness with nuclear power: disposal of byproducts. What type of water is used to store the byproducts? Heavy water.
(2) How do the byproducts of nuclear power spread throughout the land and become absorbed by plants over time? As time passes, the area of absorption expands.
(3) Other methods of disposing of nuclear waste: Can we bury it somewhere within the Earth and keep it contained at the same time?
Other declarations and open questions:
(1) [ If we were to] send [containers with] nuclear byproducts off into space, where will they end up? Can they react with other planets and/or meteors or explode on the way up?
(2) How would we deal with attaining resources that are much needed from unstable countries such as Kazakhstan?
(3) Is nuclear power really worth the time and energy in relation to its risks? Why not go solar or hydro/ work on something that is sustainable?