17 Feb 2012
Group 6. The Influence of the Internet and Social Media
Facilitator: Sara Williams
Reporter: Sara Williams
Statement and questions:
(1) Use of the internet can both build intimacy and inhibit intimacy. It allows access to a larger number of persons but adds a layer of complexity.
(2) The internet can raise expectations for what you can do, but are those expectations false?
(3) Use of the internet and social media does not necessarily solve the proximity problem.
(4) Even with the use of the internet, there is still selection: for example, a person’s income influences the availability and type of internet connection.
(5) Is “speed dating” better or worse than using the internet? Both can be catalysts for meeting and intimacy.
(6) Social media enable long-term relationships in spite of distance.