Posts by Tiffany Adler:
In combining our verbs, we found many correlations. We then diagramed those verbs and narrowed it down to 8 that the three of us would diagram on our own before our next meeting. The diagraming could be through model, sketch up etc..the point will be to pin up our diagrams and then see what’s working and what isn’t. Something to keep in mind would also be thinning about ground plane and the river.
VERBS CHOSEN: permeate, contaminate, scatter, fragment, center, connect, nest, cure
thinking about the landscape and the river, we experiment with texture placing dirt and rocks accordingly at base of plaster as well as the surface. The next step for us will be the placement of models according to function and purpose as well as thinking about filtration within the river. This was our first time working with plaster-might try concrete next?
Zoe, Brittany and I are in the process of combing our theories of Deconstruction, water filtration, and questions of “boundaries” in regards to thinking about public and private spaces-how do these containers “communicate” with each other? Are there areas of isolation? Is there a space where they can gather by the river?
When initiating the wood model from my verb, “to heal”, I referred to the clay diagram in which I had constructed a ball. The ball was derived from the sense of wholeness as to “heal” a scar (such as the scarring from one of Aaron Huey’s photographs in which “Lyle Le Beaux, of the traditionally minded Thunder Valley community of Oglala Lakota, the bears scars on his chest that come from sacred piercings, made during sun dance ceremonies. Participants hang from the sun dance tree until their skin breaks. This symbolic death transports them into visions, and is used to heal the community.”) The first step towards my wood model was to use the OSB material that I would first cut to scale of “the container” (demo phase; same mass of material to work with), when I’d finished “chiseling” out the pieces, I would start the construction derived from the “ball”. At first I had a vision to assemble the ball in this sort of tensile structure where the pieces would connect as a “skin”. After initiating the process of glueing some pieces in a triangular formation, I decided to use the clay ball as a mold device in which I would glue these pieces together around the ball so that they did not touch the ball and once this was dried, I flipped the object to glue more pieces onto the skin to provide more support before I would then wait for that to dry and flip it back over (take out the clay ball), and glue in some more pieces around the perimeter in order to cave in the structure some. I then realized this “verb” structure could also represent my other verb, “to nest” (which was also a derivative from my verb, “to build”).
Originally, I was struck by the notion of seeing “behind the lens of the camera” when the photographer, Aaron was speaking about making himself vulnerable as he walked down the street of Pine Ridge and people let him inside. The verb, “to frame” also came from the notion of “reframing nature” (one concept related to “getting back in touch with nature”, in regards to the children of Pine Ridge developing ADD with the development of suburban neighborhoods on the reservation). In addition, “to frame” also branched from “to build”, which correlated with my research in craft as well as indigenous architecture. The first model is my clay model diagram from the verb to frame.